..: How I See Things :..

..: How I See Things :..

Friday, February 8, 2008

Blemishes

Let's face it. We all have things in our lives that we would rather not talk about. We mess up, we say things we don't mean, we become selfish in our relationships, we pick our nose, we sing too loud, we purposefully avoid others in order to show our anger... WE ALL DO IT...

Does this mean we are horrible people? Are we just inherently bad? I tend to say no, but maybe that's because I'm Mendy... you know... the overly perky and optimistic individual you just sometimes want to tell to say something completely out of the ordinary and dark.

While I DO tend to look on the bright side of things for pretty much every circumstance I find myself in (an example being when I fractured my nose in high school, I was able to talk to a guy I was afraid to talk to because I liked him. of course, it was about how NASTY my face looked, but hey, I'll take it), I think I'm pretty right on about this one.

What I'm really getting at is this: We tend to believe that love is something that is conditional. "Well, he has to change X and Y before I will ever truly love him, other than that he's great." Is this the right attitude? Sure, there are DEFINITE things that matter to you... but come on... try and meet people where they are. Give them the benefit of the doubt.

I say this while thinking in the back of my mind about all the times I've done that and then as a result, I got taken advantage of, but as with everything... you have to have some common sense on the matter. You can love someone, but not like them. You don't have to invite them over to your house to have a baking party or to watch the big game, but you should treat them with respect.

I tend to think my writings sound like a kindergarten lesson sometimes, but seriously... we obviously missed it the first time. Why else do we go around in our dating relationships and view them as something in which we expect the other person to be perfect and always giving us something without giving back.

Love isn't selfish... its selfLESS.

Nobody is perfect. Love them for who they are- blemishes and all.

No comments: